Carpet stains can happen at any given time. In an office, coffee, drink, and food spills can occur at any given time if someone is being a bit too careless of their items. The best time to cleanup any spills to avoid permanent carpet stains is to clean them up as soon as possible, and if your janitorial crew isn’t available it’s up to you to take matters into your own hands and cleanup after yourself to avoid carpet stains. Below are some helpful tips on how you should go about cleaning up spills on carpet surfaces.
- With liquid stains, blot and remove as much of the stain as possible with a clean rag.
- For dried food stains, scrape the area with a dull edge tool and vacuum the crumbs that break loose.
- Rather than applying a cleaning solution directly to the stain, apply the solution to a towel. This way you can avoid chemical run offs and have more control containing the stain.
- Always work outside in when handling a stain. Begin with by working on the outside edges and then slowly move towards the center of the stain.
- Remember to frequently rotate the cloth you are using to blot up a stain to ensure that you are always using a clean section of the towel when cleaning to avoid run off.
- Repeat step 5 until there is no longer a transfer spot on the towel.
- Flush the area with water and blot the area dry to remove any excess chemical residue and to pick up any remaining traces of the stain.
- Protect the area from traffic to avoid additional soiling from shoes and dirt.
By using these simple steps, you can greatly increase the likelihood of removing a stain completely after a spill has occurred. But when you require professional carpet cleaning services in Georgia (Columbus, LaGrange, Newnan), Florida (Orlando, Pensacola, Tallahassee), or Alabama (Auburn), you can trust the experts at ServiceMaster Restoration Services.