Can you identify mold?
Most homeowners can identify a black spot on the ceiling. But what about mold that is less obvious yet still dangerous? Mold Awareness Month in September is a great time to ensure your you know if your home has mold. The following four steps can help you determine if mold is an issue in your home or business.
Know Why Mold Grows
Mold growth is common in homes that have had water damage. Be alert if the home has experienced any of following:
- Flood/sewer back-up
- Overflowing toilet
- Leaking pipes
- Leaking roof
- Leaking windows
- Any other serious water-related problems
Check walls and carpets for discolored blotches or smudges that do not easily wash away.
If there is a distinct earthy or musty smell when entering a room, it is likely that mold is growing in the room. The mold could be growing behind walls, underneath carpets or in other hidden areas.
If a you suspect mold in your home, they should contact ServiceMaster Restore® immediately. Prevention and early detection may lessen claim severity and cost.
We Attack Mold Growth Fast
Given that mold can start to grow in as little as 48 hours, it’s important to take prompt action after a water loss to help prevent mold from growing and spreading.
If our technicians observe mold while working to extract water, they will perform emergency water mitigation services. To deal with the mold issue, our team will use a three-step mold remediation process:
- Locate the source of contamination by using moisture meters, thermal imaging and other specialized equipment.
- Dry the affected area to ensure the water source is removed.
- Isolate the contaminated area and remove the mold while protecting the surrounding areas from the possible spread of mold spores.
- If the affected area is more than 10 square feet, we will contain the contaminated area, stop normal water mitigation procedures and notify the homeowner immediately. In these cases, we strongly recommend the use of an environmental testing service to establish baseline levels of mold, identify the types of mold present and develop a written remediation plan.
We work with nationally recognized testing facilities and can provide mold inspection, laboratory analysis and remediation plans at a reasonable price.
If you suspect mold damage, ServiceMaster Restore is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year to help get life back to normal and restore their peace of mind.