August 26 – 30 has been set aside to promote safety in and around the home. Did you know that the National Safety Council estimates that 245 people die of unintentional injuries at and near home every day?  The purpose of National Safe At Home Week is to raise awareness of the need to stay safe at and around the home. Take a look at the suggested checklist below to make sure that you and your family are prepared.

• Sound the Alarm: Install smoke detectors on every floor of your home and carbon monoxide detectors near sleeping areas. If already installed, test them! Tip: Replace the batteries every daylight-saving time change.

• Avoid Overload: Check for overloaded extension cords-usage should not exceed the recommended wattage.

• Don’t Get Tippy: If young children are in the home, bookshelves and other furniture should be firmly secured with wall brackets to prevent tipping.

• Childproof, Childproof, Childproof: Check your local library or look online for complete lists of childproofing suggestions. Areas of particular danger include outlets, appliances, electronics, stairs and windows.

• Watch Cord Placement: Extension cords should not be placed under rugs or heavy furniture, tacked up or coiled while in use.

• Get Grounded:
All major appliances should be grounded. Be sure to check your ground fault circuit interrupters regularly.

• Plan Your Escape:
Practice a fire escape plan with your family where you identify two exits for every room and what to do with young children.

• Keep Extinguishers Handy: 
Place all-purpose fire extinguishers in key locations in your home—the kitchen, bedroom and basement. Be sure to check expiration dates regularly and know how to use them safely.

• Create a Safe Exit:
In addition to alarms and extinguishers, consider an escape ladder if your home has two floors. Keep emergency numbers and contacts readily available by the phone.

• Unplug Appliances: 
Unplug appliances and electronics when not in use and store them out of reach.

• Cool Your Jets: Set your water heater below 120 degrees Fahrenheit to avoid potential burns and to save energy.