Strengthen Your Home
If you plan to ride out the storm in your home, make sure it is in good repair and up to local hurricane building code specifications. Many of these retrofits do not cost much or take as long to do as you may think. Have the proper plywood, steel or aluminum panels to board up the windows and doors. Remember, the garage door is the most vulnerable part of the home, so it must be able to withstand the winds.
5 Things to Know About Strengthening Your Home
- Keep trees around your home trimmed well before a storm to prevent damage from broken branches.
- Shop now for tested and approved window coverings to put up when a hurricane approaches. See flash.org.
- Bring loose outdoor items such as patio furniture inside. They can blow around and cause damage to homes.
- Secure all doors on your property. Remember that the garage door is usually the most vulnerable.
- Move your car inside a garage or to another secure location.