National Flood Safety Awareness Week is March 15-21. Spring showers can cause thousands of dollars in damage to your home, so it’s important you prepare your home for a flood. There are steps you can take as a home or business owner that will help reduce the amount of damages your property experiences during a severe flood or hurricane. If you live in a hurricane or flood-prone area, then follow these guidelines for preparing your property for a potential flood.
- Use sandbags to protect the home from floodwaters if there is sufficient time to do so.
- Have a professional install check-valves in plumbing to prevent floodwaters from backing up into the drains of the home. Make sure the sump pump is working and consider having a backup.
- Ensure the electric circuit breakers, or fuses, are clearly marked for each area of the home.
- Remember to contact your insurance agent for a review of your policy since standard homeowners insurance doesn’t cover flooding.
If you experience water damage due to flooding, ServiceMaster Restore is available 24/7/365 to help with:
- Water damage restoration
- Drying, dehumidification and water extraction
- Document drying and recovery
- Mold remediation and removal
- Carpet, rug and upholstery cleaning
Our technicians know the effects of water damage on a wide variety of structural surfaces and are experts at both damage mitigation and reducing overall claim severity. So if you get a call about flooding, let us get your life back to normal quickly and help you keep costs down.