We’re well into summer, so it’s the perfect time to celebrate National Grilling Month this July by hosting a barbecue. But before you heat up the grill, the National Fire Protection Association has a few safety tips to help you and your policyholders avoid experiencing one of the 8,800 home fires caused by grilling on average each year.
- Propane and charcoal BBQ grills should only be used outdoors.
- The grill should be placed well away from the home, deck railings and out from under eaves and overhanging branches.
- Keep children and pets away from the grill area.
- Keep your grill clean by removing grease or fat buildup from the grills and in trays below the grill.
- Never leave your grill unattended.
But rest assured, if your home is damaged by a grill-related fire, we are ready to help 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.