When a client is affected by a fire, we suggest they contact ServiceMaster Restore as soon as they are given the all-clear by the fire department to return home. You can minimize additional damage and costs by following the advice below:

  • Do not touch anything. Soot on your hands can permeate upholstery, walls, and woodwork, causing further damage.
  • Do not attempt to wash any papered or flat painted walls without consulting a professional cleaner. Incorrect cleaning procedures could compound the soot residue problem.
  • Do not attempt to clean carpets or upholstered furniture. Again, incorrect procedures could increase damage.
  • Do not use electrical appliances that have been close to fire or water before having them checked. They could malfunction.
  • Do not use ceiling fixtures if the ceiling is wet. A short circuit could result.

For more advice on what to do with your home after a fire, give us a call at 888-786-3542.